This guide has been prepared to give you an overview of how to set up and use the emergency contact feature on your Alexa devices.
TL Tech transform lives with smart home technologies. Our mission is to create a world where Smart Meets Kind® which empowers people regardless of age, technical ability or finances to adopt digital solutions and create a unique caring and entertaining home environment.
The guides are free to access and designed to help build confidence with using voice assistant and smart home technologies.
Should you have any difficulties please don’t hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have also created a series of videos to help you, which you can find on our YouTube Channel.
We try to regularly review and update our content, if however you spot anything amiss or equally something that we haven’t explained well, we really appreciate your feedback.
Set Up Communications & Emergency contact #
Firstly, you need to make sure that your device is set up for communications and that you have populated the address book with the required contacts. We always recommend only setting up the select contacts that you need, rather than importing the whole address book from your mobile, to lessen any confusion with the voice recognition, it also means that you can label the names to shorten them to “mum”, “Susan”, etc.
To assign a number in the address book as the emergency contact using your smartphone:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap on Communicate, the second icon on the bottom menu bar.
- Tap on the contacts icon, the icon of the little people in the top right-hand corner.
- Tap on the menu icon, the three little dots in the top right-hand corner.
- Tap on Emergency Contact at the bottom of the list.
- Tap on “Select Contact”.
- Choose from your list of contacts by scrolling and tapping on the name you wish to link. Tap on their name.
- You will see a tick next to the selected name. Tap on the button that says “NEXT” at the bottom of the screen.
- Then tap the button that says “DONE” at the bottom of the screen. Your contact will be sent a text message to inform them they have been selected as an emergency contact.
Using the Help Feature #
To use the feature there are a number of phrases to choose from:
- “Alexa, call for help.”
- “Alexa, call my emergency contact.”
- “Alexa, call my contact for help.”
- “Alexa, call my help contact.”
- “Alexa, help.”
- “Alexa, I need help.”
When the feature is used, it calls the number and sends a text message to your chosen contact. If they miss the call, they can go into the Alexa app to call back.